1. Station Clock
The station clock commemorates the opening of the new station in 1880 by the then Prince of Wales, Albert Edward.
2. Eagle and Child
The Eagle and Child, later the Royal Hotel, marked the end of the journey for the 18th century Mail and Stage coaches arriving from London. You can still see the large door through which the carriages once passed into the yard behind.
3. Market Square
Up until the 1860s this square was the commercial heart of the town. Traders came from all over Anglesey to sell their wares on the Market Cross steps. This was the traditional public gathering place during fairs and festivals. The street market was re-established in 2002 and is held every Monday.
4. Stanley House
Built in 1810 by the Stanley family, this house was the residence of Captain John McGregor Skinner, one of Holyhead’s most illustrious residents and famous seaman, drowned in a storm near South Stack in 1832. His pet raven often accompanied him, travelling on his shoulder!
5. Skinner’s Monument
The obelisk overlooking the harbour commemorates Captain John McGregor Skinner.
6. St Cybi’s Church
The original 6th century church was made of wood. The oldest elements of the existing parish church date from the 13th century. The walls enclosing the church yard are the remains of a 4th century Roman fort considered to be the oldest and most complete remains of their kind in the UK. Look out for the smaller chapel of Eglwys y Bedd ('Church of the Grave') in the churchyard which marks the site of a 5th / 6th century burial, possibly Sirigi in the 5th and St Cybi in the 6th!
7. Marine Yard
Marine Yard During the 19th century huge steamships, mostly belonging to the Post Office, were serviced here. For a closer view walk to Marine Square.
8. Admiralty Pier
Admiralty Arch marks the end of the old A5 London to Holyhead Road. The best place to see Admiralty Pier is from St Cybi’s church yard.
9. Market Hall
In 1855 the centre of Holyhead trading was relocated from the traditional Market Cross site to the new, purpose built Market Hall. The Honourable William O Stanley, funder of this new building, charged traders for the privilege of selling their wares.
10. Holyhead Maritime Museum
Holyhead’s long and distinguished maritime history is told here through a lively mix of exhibitions, artefacts and models.
11. Holyhead Lifeboat Station
Holyhead has had a lifeboat since 1828. In the 19th century, one of the town’s most celebrated lifeboats, ‘The Duke of Northumberland’, saved 239 lives during its 25 years of service.
12. Holyhead Breakwater
You can’t fail to be impressed by Holyhead’s famous 13/4 mile long breakwater – in engineering terms the 19th century-equivalent of the Channel Tunnel. It cost £1,285,000 (and loss of more than 40 lives) and consumed over 7 million tonnes of stone from Holyhead Mountain – from the site of what is today Breakwater Country Park. You can visit the light house at the end.